Ashtanga Yoga Shala Classes at Paddington Hall have been offered consistently for over 20 years.
The Paddington Hall is a humble but large, welcoming space, the atmosphere of which has been infused with energy via the efforts of so many yogis over so many years.
Classes offered weekly: Ashtanga Yoga Shala – ‘Step 1 Class Series’ and Ashtanga Yoga ‘Mysore Style’ classes.
Getting started: it’s easy!
- If you’re pregnant, please contact us first by email, before attending any Yoga class to discuss the suitability of these yoga classes with the teacher.
- Yoga Teachers/Yoga trainee Teachers must contact the Ashtanga Yoga Shala, via email, before attending any classes, and request permission to attend the Ashtanga Yoga Shala classes. Confirmation will be sent to you via email.
- Ashtanga Yoga Shala’s ‘Step 1 Class Series’ (all new students to Ashtanga Yoga Shala, experienced and non-experienced, are requested to begin here)
- Mysore Style Classes (only for students who have completed Ashtanga Yoga Shala’s Step 1 Class Series)
Attendance at all classes is by Class Bookings, only.
About Step 1 Ashtanga Yoga Classes:
Keeping in mind that ‘The correct preparation for any journey is all-important’:
Step 1 Ashtanga Yoga classes are provided for –
- beginners to yoga,
- newcomers to Ashtanga Yoga,
- Ashtanga Yoga practitioners returning to the practice after a long break
- and students from other Ashtanga Yoga Schools in Australia or overseas, commencing classes at Ashtanga Yoga Shala, Brisbane.
This is a guided class designed to introduce newcomers to Ashtanga Yoga as well as introduce those experienced in other styles of Yoga, to the basic principles of Ashtanga Yoga. The class also serves to help the teacher observe and assess the manner in which more experienced students can follow instructions and demonstrate alignment and correct vinyasa technique.
Attendance at the Step 1 Class Series is by class bookings only.
Whilst a reasonable level of fitness is encouraged, you need not be flexible or particularly strong to begin. You do, however, need to be able to move with ease from a standing to a sitting position.
The purpose of the Step 1 class is to establish important, fundamental components of Ashtanga Yoga.
Step 1 students are required to book into classes (‘Step 1 Class Series’).
After the initial 5 x week (one class per week) Step 1 Series program, students can book into another, 5 x week program to build confidence and familiarity with the principles or move into a ‘Mysore Style Class’ if they have completed the program requirements and feel ready.
About Mysore Style Class
‘Continuing the Journey’ – the traditional class format for developing a real yoga practice.
Prerequisite: your ability to memorise and work through the Ashtanga Yoga Shala Step 1 practice sequence and have completed the work for the Step 1 class.
Mysore Style is an individually instructed, self-paced class which continues on from the Step 1 Class Series. Here, students with varying ranges of experience practise together, demonstrating regular and committed yoga practice and their ability to integrate new instructions under the guidance and encouragement of the teacher.
This is the traditional class format and the most effective method for developing a yoga practice.
There are various class attendance options available to the Mysore style students, depending on the frequency of attendance.
Attendance at Mysore Style Class is by class bookings only.
all new student enquiries to Ashtanga Yoga Shala, Brisbane, will only be forwarded the Step 1 Class Series schedule. Current Mysore Class students at Ashtanga Yoga Shala can request the current Mysore Class Schedule if they have misplaced it).
There are also Mysore Style Classes at Sunnybank
Location: Paddington Hall, 10 Moreton Street, Paddington, Brisbane, QLD (adjacent to Neal Macrossan Park)
To enter the Hall, walk through the front green gate and come up the steps at the side of the hall.
Parking: There’s always plenty of street parking, 7 days a week.
Note: On ‘Event’ and ‘Game days’ at the nearby Suncorp Stadium, observe the special 2 x hour parking zones provided by Council for Yoga classes.